MemberlistHomeFAQAxE Clan rulesAxE MembersJoining AxE ClanConnect to #AxE|RECRUITING|XPS with xfireRegisterLog inDonate for AxEHomeUsergroupsCalendarMovies

Share | 

Vigi's tip of the day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vigilante
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Vigi's tip of the day   Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Hey guys, girls and gays, I have decided to do a random tip of the day topic in the hope that some of the knowledge from the years of gaming experience on RTCW and ET as well as the countless hours of research will help someone else achieve better in game performance.

Day 1 = Tip 1

Why graphical frame rate (fps) effects connection (maxpackets).

First it is important to understand that Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory are both made using the Quake 3 engine and as such use the same cvars as Quake 3 either fully, modified or disabled.

In Q3, RTCW and ET the actual number of packets you can send to a server is either one every frame, or one every two frames, or one every three frames and so on.

So if you are using maxPackets 100 at 125fps, you are not sending 100 packets per second, you will send one packet every two frames, which is 62.5 packets per second. And if your framerate drops to 100fps, then suddenly you will be able to send one per frame, and will get a jump from 62.5 to 100 packets per second.

In some cases the jump in packets sent will not make a difference but if your connection cannot handle 100 packets per second, it will cause your ping to rise or spike. Even if it can handle the jump from 63 to 100 packets, this may well cause your latency to fluctuate more than if your actual packets per second were constant.

Your possible packets per second are: 125/1 = 125 125/2 = ~63 125/3 = ~42 125/4 = ~32. As you can see 125 maxpackets is listed here, why? because in Q3 it was possible to set cl_maxpackets to 125.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Absolute
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 am

Nice man. Now when i see it like this i understand it, but in xfire when u told me about that it sounded so fucking wierd that i didnt get it at all. More tips tard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vATU

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Nice knowledge man ! Appriciated info :-D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DookieAdmin
Colonel
Colonel

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:57 pm

so what is the best fps/packets to be used?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vATU

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:46 pm

100 fps n 100 packets?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vigilante
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:05 pm

not 100 fps because of the quirk in fps and q3 its either 125/76/71/43 fps SO:

125 FPS / 63 packets
76 FPS / 76 packets
71 FPS / 71 packets
43 FPS/ 43 packets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vigilante
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 am

Ok sorry I didnt update with further tips here we go!,

Resolution/displayrefresh

Do not confuse FPS and Refresh Rate. Frames per second is how many graphical frames your graphics card can send per second and Refresh rate of your monitor is how many it can display. If your FPS is lower than Refresh rate, you will still display the amonut the refresh is set to ie 60, 75 but some frames will be redrawn. If FPS is set to higher you will still get 60, 75 or whatever it is set to and will get skipping of frames or "tearing". There is a way of preventing these outcomes which is known as vsync, when this is enabled via your graphics card control panel your refresh rate and ingame frames per second will have a direct relationship. Upon setting of this option do make sure to also check Vsync inside ET Options because of mouse lag.

So you will also want to use the cvar set r_displayfresh "" and set this to whatever your monitor refresh rate is (most trt will be 60 at any decent res).

The ultimate set up here is to get high frames per second and also a monitor capable of a high refresh rate because of ET's quirks with the Q3 engine with the magic numbers ( 43. 71, 76, 125, 333)

Gaming monitor that can 120 hz at HD resolutions along with com_maxfps 125 and cl_maxpackets 63, r_displayrefresh 120 would have ET silky smooth or as near to silky smooth as posible without Vsync.

For a test of this it is possible to run a poorer resolution, 1024*768, com_maxfps 76, cl_maxpackets 76, r_displayfresh 76 on most TRTs

or as mentioned above Vsync which will force fps and refresh to that of your monitor 75/75

Check this out along with my first tip while using ET's built in lagometer paying most attention to the green line displayed on the lagometer, you will see it is the smoothest it will ever get too?

whats the perfect settings if my monitor cannot do 120 hz refresh?

This is actually not easy to answer because some will see the tearing with 60 hz and 125 fps and some will not, it does depend on your pc build and graphics card/monitor and also your eyes Very Happy. If you do want to use ET's quirk frames per second for the performance advantage then the following settings:

com_maxfps 125, cl_maxpackets 63, r_displayrefresh 75, r_customheight 768, r_customwidth 1024.

or

com_maxfps 76, cl_maxpackets 76, r_displayrefresh 75, r_customheight 768, r_customwidth 1024

Test and Enjoy!

Last edited by Vigilante on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Absolute
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Nice man, im already enjoying it with ur cfg <3 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Youri!
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Smartass ty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vigilante
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 am

Ok today I will show how change Hunkmegs/zonemegs/soundmegs.

First if you change these ingame via the console they will not actually change they will stay latched at the previous value because et will load these up before any maps or cfgs. This can be tested by /com_zonemegs in the console and you will find it says a latched value.

IF you want change these values first you must delete hunkusage file from etmain/silent and whatever other mods you play. Now ET will not really use any more than 256 hunks so the following settings would be perfect if you have over 1MB ram.

hunkmegs 256, soundmegs 128, zonemegs 128 (for sound and zone 64 would probably be fine)

I would add these to your cfg file.

THEN go to the ET icon on your desktop and create a shortcut to it-right click-properties-target text box...after it says ET.exe add this command and put "" marks around the numbers as follows.

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe +set com_hunkMegs "256" +set com_zoneMegs "64" +set com_soundMegs "64"

use that icon to start et and check in console now /com_zonemegs

Enjoy

After I have done a number of tips/settings here I will update the first post to show the settings without explanations for anyone who wants to build their own cfg file.

ps any questions im on xfire - fatvigilante
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vigi's tip of the day   

Back to top Go down

Vigi's tip of the day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AxE Clan Forums :: Support Board :: ET Support-
Jump to: